Sunday, March 24, 2013

From The Vault: Early Islands Of Adventure Map



I have to admit that I'm not happy with how this scan came out.  This is an early map of Islands of Adventure, I believe used during test openings and well before the official opening day.

Through much time and many new computers, the original file was lost.  I did however remember after writing last week's Vault that I had a printed version.  Well after some searching I found that literally taped-together print out, and it was in rough shape.  I actually think it was in the trunk of my car for a year at one point, but that's another story.


So I guess my point is please excuse the quality of this one - not up to my standards but I also haven't seen it online anywhere else so I soldiered on and kept scanning.

The map is clearly drawn off of the park's blueprints, which I love.  I remember before the park opened I stared and stared at this, examining everything on it.  You can see the large open spaces that were left for expansion, the one at the top is now Harry's home.  While very hard to see due to the quality, the dark rides even had their paths drawn faintly in on their buildings, Spiderman included.  Also the Unicorn coaster and spinner in the Marvel area were not drawn in, either.  The layouts of all the rides are accurate, log flume, river rapids, coasters, etc.  Just don't look too close at the tape mark in the middle of Dragons.

I'd love to know what kind of rides and attractions have been planned for those open spaces over the years, wouldn't you?  There have been many rumors, some strong ones even, but aside from Potter the free spaces still exist, even now.  Once the next phase of Harry opens at the resort I can't wait to see what they do next!


0 comments: