Carowinds is having a big birthday party this Saturday, June 1st, in honor of the park's 40th anniversary. As with all things celebratory, there will be a cake - a big one - so big in fact it's being called "largest ever served on the state line!" Mmmm, cake.
If that wasn't reason enough to check out the festivities, you can also take in the history that the park has had over those forty years while there. Originally opened in 1973 Carowinds has expanded from only 73 acres on opening day to 398 acres of rides and attractions - including 13 coasters and four original opening day attractions: the Scrambler, the Carolina Goldrusher, Snoopy's Junction train, and the Carolina Skytower.
• 9:30 am - Ceremonial ribbon cutting with two people who were with us opening day- James Henderson, Carowinds’ first official visitor, and Connie Dorn Rist, Ms. North Carolina 1972.
• 10:00 am – Fort Mill High School marching band opens the park and helps us sing happy birthday as we cut and share our giant birthday cake free for the first 400 visitors!
• 11a-1pm – We don’t often have a book signing, but when we do the book is about us! Carowinds worked with Arcadia Publishing to commemorate our anniversary season with a beautiful historical collection of photos documenting four decades of thrills!
• 6:00 pm - The party keeps going with the crew from V101.9 fm! They’re leading the evening portion of our birthday bash with a performance by the Purple All Star Steppers and a summertime dance party!
• 8:00 pm- The World’s Largest Soul Train Line (how cool is that?!)
• 10:00 pm- Boom! Pop! Ooooh and Ahhhhh! We wrap up the celebration with fireworks coordinated to light up the night with the biggest hits of 1973!
As an extra special treat for visitors during the month of June Carowinds will offer next day tickets - in case you need another day to see it all - for only $19.73. That's a steal!
Congratulation to the park on their anniversary!